Friday, June 13, 2008

Reflections of Father's Day

Growing up in a Christian home I took for granted what it meant to have a Christian Dad. It has only been in the last few years that I have come to realize the impact a father has on his family. The legacy he leaves behind, good or bad. He has been given an incredibly big job. That of leadership of his family. My first memory involves my Dad. While some (including Dad and I when we talk about it) may think it's funny, but it has stuck in my mind all these years. When I was 15 months old David (my brother) was born. I guess I didn't handle switching to a big girl bed very well. I don't remember that part of it. The part I do remember is where Dad took me down to the kitchen every night and we sat in a wooden kitchen chair by the heat register and I would get a spanking for not staying in my bed. I don't remember the pain of the spanking. What I do remember is Dad crying and explaining to me that this hurt him more than it did me and he did it because he loved me. I didn't understand it then, but I do now. Boy do I get it now! The thing is he really meant it! There were so few (only once in fact and that has been apologized for and forgiven) times when I was punished unfairly or unlovingly. I can't begin to explain how grateful I am to have a Dad who loving disciplined me even if it wasn't the popular thing to do! Dad had a wonderful example in my Grandpa Slagenweit who went to his Eternal reward 11 years ago. Grandpa was one of those guys who didn't say a lot but when he did you would be wise to listen to what he said. He could correct you with on soft spoken "Now sir". Dad, thanks for your guidance and love over the years! I know I don't tell you nearly enough, but I love you!

Evan and I have been blessed beyond measure to have Justin as the leader of our home. I couldn't ask for a better husband and Evan couldn't ask for a better Daddy! Nothing melts my heart more than when I hear Justin and Evan giggling in the next room or watch them play together. Being first time parents we were both apprehensive . We wanted to be so careful that we always disciplined in love and never said anything harsh. Justin was very afraid of how he might react. Justin has grown so much spiritually over the past few years and I am so proud of who he has become. I know that he will be an awesome father. How, simply because he puts Christ first and seeks God's wisdom for everything he does. Justin, I just want you to know that today and always I love you. You are a great leader and I am blessed to be your wife. Evan and any other children God may bless us with will be privileged to have you as their Daddy! I love you Sweetheart!

The world today puts so little value in men as husbands and fathers. In TV shows they are degraded and made to look stupid. It's always bothered me that men are given such a bad rap. They have the greatest God given responsibility of all! It's hard enough to fulfill that responsibility without the world telling them they are nothing. God help us to pray for father's as they lead their families!

3 comments:

David and April said...

Very well put! They both are great Dad's and I'm glad I get the privelage to be a part of the family to experience that!! ;) You (we) have great family!!

Kara Plank said...

Well said! It's nice to know that Dads are still real men!

Noah and Heather said...

Very true!!! I think Moms have it tough sometimes, but I'm glad that I don't have to fill the Dad role!
I got your blog address from April. It was nice to "catch up."