Tuesday, October 14, 2008

15 Month Check-up and Updated Pictures

Evan had his 15 month 2 week check-up yesterday. He is 33 inches long and weighs 23 pounds. He hasn't gained any weight since his last appointment but he grew 3 inches. The doctor said he looks very healthy and is surprised at the fact that Evan hasn't really ever had more than a mild cold. He was impressed with all the words Evan can say and how well he listens when given directions. It was one of those days where when I said "Come here please" Evan immediately responded. I wish he did that everyday!:) Evan managed to escape any shots as the Hib vaccine is on national shortage and I opted not to have the flu shot or chickenpox vaccine given. Question for all you Mom's who read this blog: Did you give your child(ren) the chickenpox vaccine and why or why not? The pediatrician is really pushing for Evan to have it, but I really don't want him to have it. The research I have done seems inconclusive as to it effectiveness. My theory is that we (my generation) all had it and we made it just fine. The doctor did admit to me that children rarely develop life threatening complications from chickenpox. Anyway, Evan is doing great. He spiked a decent fever last weeks for a few days, but was in a jolly mood and we think it must have just been teeth. He did get a little lethargic with it and was a little cuddlebug. He is running now! Much to Mommy's dismay at moments! Thus the start of scraped knees and fat lips. Yes, he had both this past week! Putting his blankie in his firetruck!
Just waking from a nap. Yes, he still naps in his swing!:)
This is very unusual for him. He normally doesn't want to cuddle except when he isn't feeling well or in the middle of the night. I had just gotten him up from his nap and was scratching his back (which he LOVES!). Excuse my fly-away hair!

4 comments:

David and April said...

IT'S DAVID's TWIN!!!!! He looks just like David, we can't get over it!!!

Matt and Silvia Decker said...

Hi Jennifer, your little guy sounds like he's having so much fun these days. What words does he say so far? As far as vaccines, actually, this is a sore spot with me. Alex had an alergic reaction to the 3rd DTaP and after that whole ordeal I did a lot of research on the subject. Now Alex only gets 1 shot at a time, and 2 shots are at least 4 weeks apart. He also used to get very lethargic and feverish after all the trillion shots they gave him. Now that we've done 1 at a time, no fever, and he's not lethargic at all! He hasn't gotten the chickenpox vaccine either, nor the MMR and I'm not planning to give him the flu shot. In fact, the flu shot is the most reactive from all the shots and is one of the few who also still has mercury in it - some brands, but they don't bother telling you that. With the MMR I wanted him to have the mumps at 1 yr, rubella at 2 and measles at 3, but apparently at least the first 2 are on shortage either so I'm not sure what to do.

Sara said...

I am not a mom, but if I remember correctly, you can still get chicken pox after getting the shot. Because you are only getting one strand of the pox. I could be wrong though.

J.R. said...

Your little man is so precious! He is at such an adorable age. I opted out of the MMR and will not have it for David until right before he has to go to school--if then. There are too many negative stories and too much inconclusiveness for me to take the risk. I got him the chickenpox vaccine because I (nor anyone in my family) has ever had the chickenpox and I fear catching them from him should he ever get them! Flu shot? Don't even consider it...